Friday, August 01, 2008

Since I'm feeling squishy...


I did not grow up listening to The Cure. My Mom hated The Cure. She used to say they needed a cure. That came with Prozac in 1991.


But before that little green pill changed society The Cure changed music by bringing Goth out into the light. But not for long, since the Goth kids only came out at night and were very pale and prone to sunburn.


I saw Robert Smith on some TV show a few years ago talking about how the love songs he wrote were so different from most love songs that tend to focus on beauty and sex. That always annoyed me about a lot of love songs. But not "Lovesong" by The Cure. The words are simple and sincere, the music gives you that fluttery feeling you get from being with your special person. So even though it took me many years I found my way to The Cure and one of the most beautiful love songs ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved, loved, love, loving The Cure.

Elise is my favorite song. Steve put a lot of Cure songs on the mix CDs he made for me.