Thursday, April 06, 2006

I can do that, but I don't want to.

That's right, this is the one thing in the wedding I know I could do. I've been baking and decorating cakes for a few years now, and while i'm trying to adopt a "it'll be fine" attitude about this little shindig, this is where my control freak perfectionist tendencies come out. I know too much for my own good. Where the uninitiated would see a gorgeous cake, I see every miniscule flaw.

I've called three people on my recommended vendor list and all of them work out of their homes. Which I don't want to criticize because I do that too. But I make cakes for my freinds and family. They know the circumstances of my kitchen. I know the circumstances of my kitchen. I'm just a little worried trusting someone else to make a beautiful, delicious cake in a clean enviroment. And I know i'm being anal and picky, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

I made Linda's wedding cake as my gift to her so I know I can do it. I could make my own cake. But I know I don't need the stress and the demand on my time the days before the wedding. I had even thought about having the basic teirs baked and iced by a baker and then assembling and decorating them myself. But if i'm paying by the slice for the cake shouldn't I get the same assurance of set up and such taken care of? Of course I should. I'm just being weird.

I have a tasting today at 4:00 with one of the people I called. She works out of her home, lives in BFE and doesn't keep all her flavors on hand for a tasting. I'm skeptical.

I have also called someone locally who has a storefront and professional facilities. I'm a little more impressed with her. She was much more freindly on the phone. But i've seen her work and found so many flaws. But she at least keeps her flavors on hand for tastings and I know her facilities are inspected and such.

There is one more professional bakery in town that I need to check out. But they can't give me a per-slice figure. It depends on what I want. So i'm going to try and hit them next week.

I wonder how Wal-Mart's cakes are...

No comments: