Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I'm not materialistic, I just really love my engagement ring!

It's a cold, rainy, pissy day here in G-Vegas. I am once again suffering from an Ambien hangover, and yet have found that a cup of coffee makes me very jittery and in need of Klonopin. So i'm going to stay awake by doing the one thing I have energy for: Gushing about my engagement ring!

I have only spent the last two years looking at and dreaming about The Ring. Yes, only two years. I knew before then that Josh and I would be getting married, but the 30 year mortgage with me kinda clenched my suspicions. Around that time I began hanging out on A Diamond is Forever.com, looking at jewelry stores, and putting rings on my Amazon wish list each Christmas as a joke. I made a few decisions right off. I wanted an oval shape, I wanted a prog setting, and I wanted yellow gold.

I'm not sure what drew me to the oval shape, but I couldn't imagine a different one. I've never like the marquis, and everyone seems to have a round or a princess. I'm not completely hung up on being different for the sake of being different like some people, but his time I did want something different. The oval was sparkly, an elegant shape, but still simple.

I wanted a plain prong or tiffany setting because they are simple and hold the stone up to catch light. My only complaint was that so many settings were six prongs and I wanted four. I know that six prongs would be more secure, but the prong at the top and bottom of the stone messed up the graceful curve I loved about the oval shape. Yes I know i'm being fussy. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

I wanted yellow gold becuase in my mind that is the color of wedding sets. Now Josh wants a titanium band, and that's fine. It's his wedding band to wear for the next 60 years so I want him to be happy. I also want it to be lightweight enough for him to wear it. But for me I want plain yellow gold. Platnium is pretty in pictures, i'll give you that. But I don't like it more when side by side with a ring in yellow gold. Also, platnium is so freaking expensive that we would have had to settle for white gold, and i've seen white gold after a few years. It's not pretty.

Finally I wanted Josh to spend his money on something that was better rather than bigger. I wanted a ring that was sparkly and white and small rather than dull, yellow and big.

I got my wishes. All of them, in spades.

My ring is perfect. We went to a few stores in the mall, but none of them had an oval. The next day we decided to look at Bailey's. Bailey's is small, family owned and pretty darn upscale. I didn't expect to be able to afford a ring from Bailey's, but it wouldn't hurt to look.

They had several ovals on the floor, but most of them were in elaborate settings. There was one solitare, a half carat one. I tried it on and liked it, but asked out of curiousity if he had one a little bit bigger. He went into the back and came out with a loose diamond. I had told him our budget, and I could see the price tag on the back of the card. $800 over our limit. Oh monkey trumpets.

He pulled out a calculator and did a little math and came off the price of the diamond $760. Josh said that was cool. Our salesman, i'll call him Mr. R. told us about the diamond. It was a .86 carat, VS2 clarity, and an H color wise. He said the cut is and "elexis" cut which are very well cut and very sparkly. This would be categorized as a premium cut. After months on Blue Nile I new this was a great diamond and a great price. He put it into a few settings that I tried on. He told us that the setting was included in the price and that it could probablly be set that day. He even had a gold, thin band, four prong setting. He understood my reasons for not wanting a prong on the ends of the oval. He was very nice, and very low pressure. We had been to a few stores before browsing and the staff decided that we were buying a ring that day. What sealed the deal was when he put this diamond next to the previous one I had tried on. It was no where near as sparkly, and noticably more yellow.

My ring was set that day a mere two hours later. Everyone in the store wanted to see it. They all loved it and said how pretty it was. And they all said it was the whitest H grade they had ever seen. Josh put it on my finger and I haven't wanted to take it off since. Of course I have to. I have nightmares of loosing it down a drain or sewer grate, or the cats taking off with it. At night it goes back in the box on my nightstand. I roll over in the morning and put it on. After my shower at night I put it back on as I hang around the house in my bathrobe.

When i'm out in the sunlight it sparkles and sets off prisms. When i'm driving it reflects light on the interior of my car like a disco ball on my finger. Even in the dark it catches the light from street lights and sparkles like mad. I can see why the Romans thought that diamonds were splintered peices of stars.

And I know that a material thing shouldn't make me feel so special, or loved. But it does. I have a tangible symbol of Josh's commitment to me. I feel like i'm in a secret club where your ring is your membership card. Everyone knows what this ring means. It means that i'm getting married to a wonderful man. That in a few months all my cards in my wallet will be new. That soon i'll have a big album of pictures and a poofy dress in my closet. That I will be loved, honored and cherished until death do us part. And that I will do the same for him. And materialistic or not, that is really fucking cool.

No comments: